No matter what note-taking technique you use, these are important guidelines to follow:
- Develop, modify, then stick to a strategy that works for you.
- Read for understanding.
- Paraphrase! (That's how you know you understand.)
- Be able to trace every single idea in your notes to its source.
- Write just enough - not so much that it's like reading the original all over again, not so little that you don't know what it means later.
- Abbreviations, symbols, and diagrams are great, as long as you'll remember what they mean.